Information for Artists
Art Show 2016 Registration is NOW OPEN!
We wish to welcome everyone to a new year at The Ad Astra Art Show. Please if you are returning or wish to participate for the first time in registering with the Art Show, read the FAQ before you register. Remember to have everything ready for when you first apply so that your application can be processes smoothly. The longer you wait the less likely you will be able to reserve a spot for you art work.
The registration will remain open until Space is no longer available.
Fees: Fees are for space only.
You may reserve no more than 2 full units (panels or tables) per artist.
Reserve early since space is allotted on a first reserved & paid basis.
Panels AND/OR Tables
|Full Panel||4′ x 4′||(48″ x 48″)||$15.00 CAD/USD|
|Half Panel||2′ x 2′||(24″ x 24″)||$10.00 CAD/USD|
Please use this link to register online and submit payment thru PayPal:
Art Show Online Registration
If payment is sent by mail, please make cheque/money order payable to “Ad Astra Science Fiction Society”.
All entries must be your own composition on an Sci-Fi/Fantasy theme in any medium, including photography. Works based on other, related themes are also generally permitted.
A straight 10% commission is charged on Art Show sales.
3D pieces assembled from commercial kits or patterns may not be displayed.
All artwork must be in good condition & properly mounted in protective materials (i.e. matting, mounting board or plastic sleeves). Please no glass!
Our panels are standard 4’x4′ pegboard. Your artwork will hang from pegboard hooks with bulldog clips, which we provide. If your artwork can’t be clamped with a standard bulldog clip, you must provide secure mounting hardware compatible with a standard pegboard hook. If you intend to hang a business card holder, keep in mind that it must not interfere with artwork or bid sheets; the art show staff will not be responsible for supplying or replenishing business cards or flyers.
Tables are recommended for the display and sale of 3D artwork.
The title and the artist’s name and address or e-mail address must be printed on the back of each piece, or securely attached to 3D work.
All artwork must have a unique title for positive identification; “Untitled #1” is not acceptable.
One copy of a signed, limited-edition print may be hung with original art and sold in the usual method (written/voice bids), provided that no other copies of that print are offered anywhere else at the convention.
- Once entered by the artist or agent, artwork may not be withdrawn from the Art Show for private sale, nor may the minimum bid or quick sale price be changed. In addition, more artwork may not be added once your setup is complete.
- The Art Show will be located in Thornhill Room. You may begin to hang your art at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Friday, April 27th, and continue until 9:00 p.m. The show will open for viewing at 6:00 p.m. Bidding also begins at that time.
- Please notify the Art Show if you will be arriving after 9:00 p.m. on Friday. If notice is not given, then you may not be permitted to check in and hang your art until 10 a.m. on Saturday. If you must withdraw from the Art Show, then reserved space may be resigned .
- If you are sending your art with a friend, then please provide a letter authorizing him or her to act as your agent and please specify to whom payment should be made. Artwork without written authorization will not be allowed in the Art Show. If you cannot reclaim your own artwork at the end of the show, you will need to make arrangements for an agent to pick up any unsold pieces and your payment on your behalf.
- All artwork must be in good condition and properly mounted in protective materials (i.e., matting, mounting board or plastic sleeves). It is the artist’s responsibility to take every reasonable step to ensure their artwork will not be damaged by setup or teardown of the displays. The Art Show will no longer provide protective materials such as plastic sleeves. Aside from the hooks and clips provided by The Art Show Staff, you are welcome to mount your display in whatever manner you choose, provided that your artwork will be held securely over the course of the weekend, and that it will pose no risk of damage to your own display, that of others, or convention attendees. If artwork has been put on display without proper protection, Art Show staff will remove it and the panel fee will not be refunded.
- Ad Astra is a family-oriented convention. For this reason, artwork with explicitly sexual or otherwise offensive content will not be displayed openly in the gallery. If you have explicit art you would like to sell through the Art Show, please contact the Gallery Curators at Artshow@ad-astra.org and put Explicite Art in the subject line.
- Artist checkout is Sunday, May 1st, between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. We will pay artists on site until the cash runs out, and then payment will be made by cheque approximately two weeks thereafter. We will not be responsible for artwork that has not been picked up by the artist or agent by 5:00 p.m. on Sunday unless prior arrangements have been made (i.e., mail-in art).
- Art Show display spaces are occupied at the discretion of the Art Show Director. Ad Astra reserves the right to refuse sale of Art Show panels.
- The display and sale of fan art of the following properties is prohibited at Anime North: Disney (including live-action properties, such as Pirates of the Caribbean), Homestuck, Marvel, The Muppets, Reboot, and Star Wars. Artwork that is found to be in contravention of this policy will be removed.
- Each artist is to be individually registered for their own display space, and display spaces are to be held by single artists only. If your display includes any collaborative work, a signed letter of authorization must be provided by any other artists involved, as if you were their agent (see General Rule #4, above).
Art Sales & Auction:
Art with one written bid is sold to that bidder; art with 2 bids or more goes to the Highest bidder. Art with no bids may be sold at minimum bid on Sunday, unless the artist checks “No Sunday Sale” on the bid sheet.
Please be realistic with your minimum bids. All bids are in whole Canadian dollars. Do not put less than you will accept for the item, expecting it to be bid up. Remember, a single bid means the art sells for that price.
There will be a Quick Sale option for buyers. If there are no bids on the piece, it may be purchased immediately for the price you set (we recommend at least double the minimum bid). The piece will not be able to be removed from the show until Saturday afternoon at the earliest. If you do not wish to use this option, please put N/A in that space on your control sheet.
If an attendee has registered as a bidder in the Art Auction and places a silent auction bid on a piece, but is unable to pick up their purchase on Sunday, then arrangements may be made at the discretion of the Art Show Director to purchase the artwork immediately after the close of The Art Show on Saturday night. Otherwise, the bidder may appoint a proxy to pick up and pay for the purchased artwork on Sunday by giving them a note of authorization and the bidder paddle registered in the name of the purchaser.
In This cases, buyers are asked to notify the Art Show Director at their earliest convenience.
If a winner fails to remit payment for a piece won at auction, then their contact information Will be given to the artist so that they can arrange for payment and shipping of the item.
Hours of Operation
Open to Public: 5:00 to 10:00 p.m
For additional information regarding the Ad Astra Art Show, or if your questions have still not been answered after consulting the Art Show FAQ, please contact Danielle Bourgeois by e-mail at Artshow@ad-astra.org.